Do you encounter the D3dcompiler_42.dll missing error while trying to launch a game? Does it happen with other ‘heavy-graphics’ applications? If the answer is YES then in the following post I’ll provide the necessary tips and tools required to detect and repair this problem.
The file is part of the Direct3D HLSL Compiler from Microsoft DirectX for Windows.
The DirectX for Windows has been designed to support ‘heavy graphics’ programs such as 3D games. The purpose of this technology is to enhance the performance of your multimedia experience especially when it concerns your graphics display and audio.
Common problems with this dll
The following error message is typical when having trouble with this dll while trying to launch PC games: The program can't start because D3DCompiler_42.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. Another common error related to this file: C:\Windows\system32\d3dcompiler_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.
(1) The game/application usually won’t start
(2) It might start but crash after a while
(3) You might encounter problems with your video display and/or audio
Why this error shows up?
(1) Incompatible or corrupt video or audio related drivers
(2) Problem with the dll file itself – it might be corrupt, missing, or incompatible
How to repair it
(1) Replace incompatible or corrupt video and audio related drivers
This is the first thing you should check in order to repair the D3dcompiler_42.dll missing error – verify that none of your display or audio related drivers are invalid. In case of invalid drivers – replace them immediately with updated and compatible versions.
Here is how you do that:
(1) Download the following drivers scanner
(2) Run an in-depth scan to your drivers
(3) By the end of the scan open the Drivers report
(4) See if any audio or display related drivers are indicated as invalid
(5) If so, replace those drivers with their most updated and compatible version
(I’d recommend the replacement of any other invalid drivers as well)
(6) Restart your PC
(2) Update your DirectX installation (manual update)
Download and install the latest DirectX installation (directly from Microsoft’s site), when completed restart Windows.