In the following D3dx11_42.dll error repair guide I’ll provide several simple steps that you need to take in order to get rid of this error. After researching on this error for quite some time I believe that the following tips are probably the easiest and safest way to repair this error.
It belongs to Direct3D 10.1 Extensions from Microsoft DirectX for Windows.
For those of you who don’t know – DirectX is a technology created by Microsoft. It enhances and improves the PC gaming experience as well as the performance of multimedia based programs.
Errors related to this dll are usually encountered when trying to launch PC games that make use of this dll. While trying to launch a game, and in some cases while trying to configure games, Windows pops up an error message saying that d3dx11_42.dll is missing or not found.
The causes to this error
(1) The dll is missing, corrupt, or usually incompatible.
(2) You might be using incompatible or corrupt ‘graphics related’ drivers.
How to repair it
(1) Reinstall and update your DirectX installation
Download and install the latest DirectX installation - this should handle the first cause to this error as mentioned earlier.
(2) Reinstall and update all your ‘graphics related’ drivers
Download and install the following drivers scanner – it’ll automatically detect any invalid drivers (including all your ‘graphics related’ drivers) and enable you to update and replace them.
(1) Download this drivers scanner
(2) Let it detect all your installed drivers
(3) By the end of the scan see which drivers are marked as invalid
(4) Immediately replace those drivers with new updated ones
(5) Restart your PC