I just found how to repair the D3dx9_42.dll missing error as well as other similar errors related to this dll. In the following post I’d like share two methods that’ll enable you to get rid of this annoying error. Fortunately, this isn’t going to be too technical so I hope you’ll find it useful.
This module is part of Direct3D 9 Extensions from Microsoft DirectX for Windows.
If you’re a gamer and I presume you are, then the game that you’re trying to run is using Microsoft’s DirectX technology in order to provide you with better graphic and audio performance. That’s what DirectX was designed for – enhancing the user’s experience when it comes to multimedia-based programs.
While trying to run a game (or another multimedia-based program), Windows pops up an error message saying: bad image C:\windows\system32\d3dx9_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error or the following error: The program can't start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer.
The causes to this error
(1) The dll is missing/corrupt/incompatible.
(2) One (or several) of your drivers is either incompatible or too old.
How to repair this error
(1) Update your DirectX installation
You can download and install the latest DirectX installation from Microsoft’s official site. This should handle any compatibility or ‘missing’ issues with this file.
(2) Check the validity of your Video and Audio cards
In order to complete the repair of the D3dx9_42.dll missing error you need to detect and replace invalid Video and/or Audio card drivers. There’s an easy way to do that:
(1) Download and install this drivers scanner
(2) Conduct an in-depth drivers scan - it’ll detect all invalid drivers
(3) Are the Audio and Video card drives valid?
(4) If NOT – update them with their latest compatible versions
(5) Are there any other invalid drivers?
(6) If YES – it is recommended to replace them as well
(7) Restart your PC